Achieving ideal weight in 10 months.

The Challenge
Back then I was 80 kg (175 lbs). Based on BMI, my ideal weight should be 62 kg (136 lbs).

With this in mind, I set out to bring myself to my ideal weight. I was determined but I knew that it would be hard. So I used the following approach.

  1. Make a bet with a friend, I will reach the weight in one year. If I succeeded, she will give me $100/-, otherwise, I will have to give her a treat.
  2. I started telling everyone in the office about my "bet".
Shedding the first couple of kgs was relatively easy - by slightly reducing food portion and started going to the gym.

Then it happened - my weight plateaued after only 1 month into the bet.

Luckily, another friend of mine heard about the bet and sat me down and told me that weight gain an loss can be reduced to a very easy equation:

Input - output. If you consume more than you expend, you will lose weight. The same with the reverse. It all boils down to calorie intake and calorie use. To lose 1 kg of weight, it was necessary to have a deficit of 7000 calories.

Input
The input or intake consist of all the calories that are consumed by the body either through drinks or food.

Output
The output or usage consist of anything that will cause the body to use up the calorie.
This is the surprise.

Even when the body is at rest, we are still using up calories, through our breathing, blood circulation, thinking etc. This is known as the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). I found two formulas:

When we eat, we also use up energy in the chewing, and digestion process.

That is the good news. The bad news is our body is a very efficient machine, so it takes very little to perform all these complex task.

After a long arduous process, I am glad to say that I manage to accomplish in 10 months. In my next post, I will explain the process I used.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Charge 3 vs Honor Band 5i

Fitbit just added Sleep Score to their app