Frugality Needs to Be a Family Culture




Saving money can only be achieved if it is part of the family culture. It all started with my parents, they instilled the sense of frugality to me and also my children. I am lucky that my wife shares similar values as my parents and myself.

Being frugal doesn't mean never ever splurging and rewarding ourselves, it is fine to spend extra occasionally. What is important is the frequency of doing that and what we do the rest of the time.

Developing a culture takes time; in my case a lifetime. I learned a lot from observing my parents:

  • When possible, repair instead of buying a replacement.
  • Cook at home instead of eating out. When eating out look for places that are less expensive.
  • They often keep leftovers for lunch or breakfast.
  • Eat together during dinner in order to reduce leftovers.
  • Buy only what is needed.
  • Use recycled items whenever possible.
  • My mother used to sew our clothes (not so much anymore since we can get some inexpensive clothes in the market).

When everyone in the family shares the same value and are very cautious when it comes to spending money, it is difficult if you spend too much. Even though no one will scold you or punish you, subconsciously, you will feel guilty. I guess it is similar to peer pressure but it runs within the family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Charge 3 vs Honor Band 5i

Fitbit just added Sleep Score to their app