How to Make up Bedtime Stories

It is fun to make up your own bedtime stories and it provides a great opportunity to spend time with your children. I managed to tell stories I created for seven months before I ran out of ideas and my children lost interest.


Face Bug
© Jan Teunis (Belgium)


Topic

The first step in making a story come up with a topic. Ways of coming up with a topic include:

  1. Think of something your children are interested in.
  2. Ask your children for a topic.
  3. Think of something lesson you want to teach your children.

Use Words that Your Children can Relate to

To engage children, it is important to provide them with things that are familiar with or can associate with. It will make it easier for them to visualize the story.

For example, in the Moths and Butterflies story, I started with fairies. Children know fairies can fly and to them butterflies and moths look like worms, hence the story.

I used a similar approach in Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs look like scaly and mutated version of animals we know today. Diseases and germs were used to explain the scaly skins and mutation. It is also used as a way to explain why we do not see dinosaurs anymore.

It Cannot be too Long or too Exciting

Even though it is fun to create stories, we have to remember the objectives of the stories.

  1. To spend time with our children.
  2. Getting them to sleep.

If the story is too exciting, it will get the children too worked out and they might not be able to sleep after the story.

Have Fun

Children love animals, so they are great subject for stories. I used animals in many of my stories. One thing important when making up the stories and to remind your children that your stories are just for fun and not real.

Since my children know that my story is just for fun, I am able to make up stories like How Zebra Got Their Stripes or How Elephants Got Their Tusk.

My story collection is found here. Start making up your bedtime stories and spend some quality time with your children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Charge 3 vs Honor Band 5i

Fitbit just added Sleep Score to their app