Problems With S View Cover for Note 3

Note 3 is already more than a year old and is superseded by Note 4. However, I have had it for slightly over 6 months.  I decided to treat myself with the S View cover mainly because it allows me to take pictures without unlocking my phone. I missed a few photo opportunities while struggling to unlock my phone.

Sadly, I was not aware of the many issues plaguing this product. The following are the ones I am aware of.

Repeating Calendar Events

Calendar events keeps repeating themselves even after we dismissed them. Initially I thought it was because I did not dismiss the event correctly. However, I found the following thread discussing the issue. The problem is the S-Planner for Note 3 which comes with KitKat is not compatible with S-View cover.

A temporary fix is to install the S-planner for S5. The apk is available from XDA Developer. Note that you will need to reinstall the apk each time you reboot the phone.

This problem does not affect everyone. Some of my friends are not affected.

Google Apps Device Policy Hangs the phone

A few of my friends who connects their Note 3 to our corporate email system. In order to do that they have to install Google Apps Device Policy.  The S View cover will cause the phone to be unresponsive and sometimes cause the screen to go blank.

They have placed a card between the chip and the phone in order to regain the use of their phone. However, they lose all functions of the S View cover.

Issues with S Voice

I used to enable the hands free mode while driving. However, with the cover, I get a message that S Voice can only be used with the S Cover open. Sometimes the message goes away on its own. However, the message stays and cannot be removed unless I reboot the phone.

The message blocks the row used for swiping to access the various functionality of the S View cover (take photo, play music and action memo).

Conclusion

I was told that there are three windows in S View, the third window option will appear when I receive a message but I have yet to see that option.

I am aware only these problems, feel free to comment on other problems you face with S cover and Note 3. I am really disappointed, to find out Samsung’s accessories do not work with its own products, more so since I have to pay a premium for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Charge 3 vs Honor Band 5i

Fitbit just added Sleep Score to their app